Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Visit to Pallikaranai wetland, Chennai

VISIT : Sep 2013
STAY @ Home stay at adambakkam, chennai


I started my journey of the Pallikaranai wetland  in early morning and hoping to get some nice bird pictures. Contrary to my expectation wetland is situated inside the city and it was just 15-20 minute drive from my stay. Wetland is divided into two part by road and linked by intermediate under road tunnels.

Pallikaranai wetland
Pallikaranai wetland  
City in the background of Pallikaranai wetland
City in the background of Pallikaranai wetland  
 A large area of the marshland is now dump yard , where municipality dumps city garbage. I  could see many hawks hovering on garbage from distant.

Dump yard near Pallikaranai wetland
Dump yard near Pallikaranai wetland
Pallikaranai wetland is Spread over large area and home of  large number of native birds as well as migratory birds in the winter. I read before coming wetland that government is trying to restore the ecology of wetland and develop it as tourist spot after many complain and protest from environmentalist to save this wetland.Construction of bird watching platforms and fencing of wetland is good initiatives. I could see Small Hoardings with birds name and description all along the wetland.


There were not many birds as it was starting of migration season and winter . 
It was cloudy weather and i was able to get only few pictures. I spent few hour going around the wetland and thought of coming sometime in winter to have better catch.



4 comments: